HT HT but grittier?

Ivan NWG

Veteran
if you wanted to make HT a little grittier and slightly less heroic, what changes would you make?

Mogger

Hipsteranka
if you wanted to make HT a little grittier and slightly less heroic, what changes would you make?
We did a few changes in Kopparhavets hjältar. Armour is a bit more effective but so are weapons. That makes it all a bit more... well I wouldnt say realistic but at least somewhere down that line.

You could also add:
  • Critical hits
  • Longer healing time
  • Base Inititaive on Gard/Health instead of armour

Leon

Leo carcion
I think you could achieve quite a lot by playing around with Gard. Maybe turn it into more of a Fatigue style stat that doesn't refresh immediately but needs rest/comfort to recover. Maybe it also depletes during travel.

Ivan NWG

Veteran
Even just delaying Gard recovery to end of day would instill a bit of pacing.

i should clarify we loved the game when we played, but i need it for a different project where id like the tone just a slight bit more in the mud.

Theo

Hero
Some things you could do:

- Put some more limits on using Gard to deflect/absorb injury. Say at a failed defense roll, you may only take up to half the damage on Gard.

- Make it more punishing to fight multiple opponents. Either give a big ganging-up bonus to multiple attackers or a minus to multiple defense rolls.

- Critical / major injuries. Say any injury that does half of your full Hälsa at once is a “Major wound” with some extra effects. Major wounds take longer to heal than common injuries.

Osbjer

Warrior
I would cut the damage from weapons in half and skip gard altogether. Then rescale features that use gard and have them use initiative instead, and lastly change "cathch breath" to let the player roll a new initiative roll and add to their current value up to a maximum om 12 instead.